Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Learning Theory _ism's

So, I just read a blog conversation between Bill Kerr, Karl Kaplan, and Stephen Downes about learning theories. This conversation started in 2007 and to some extent is still ongoing. But I was struck by the passionate statements made. After reading their comments, I am more convinced than ever that learning theories are great at generalizations but lacking when we start to discuss detail. They provide a great framework for educators to build on. But as educators we need to build the framework from each theory rather than accepting an established framework in its entirety. Bill Kerr (2007) made a comment about cherry picking useful ideas from the _ism’s. Let’s pick those cherries and make a cherry pie. Every good cook knows that to get a really flavorful pie you need several varieties of cherries. Good teachers know they need to pick and choose strategies with students to really help those students learn. What works with one class may not work with others. There is no one-size-fits-all. Why do teachers then feel they need to fashion their classroom in a way that agrees with a specific learning theory?

I am taking a class right now where we are looking at learning theories, the _ism’s. And quite honestly some of those theories seem to talk in circles. When I think of that student sitting in my classroom who reads below grade level and is having trouble keeping up, I am not thinking about which learning theory will work best. I am thinking about how I can help that student catch up. When I read about the _ism’s I see every student in every theory. I teach high school, so I am not going to teach that student how to read, rather I am going to look for tools and help that student compensate for a deficiency, to bring their skills to grade level or as close as possible.

Kerr, B. (2007, January 1). _isms as filter, not blinker [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://billkerr2.blogspot.com/2007/01/isms-as-filter-not-blinker.html

3 comments:

  1. Carol, your thoughts explain my confusion about all the learning theories very well. When I read the particulars about any theory, I always see parts of several that fit with my own learning and teaching situation. I don't have the experience of teaching K-12 students; however, a lot of what I've read and learned through my graduate education programs does apply in both K-12 and adult education genres. There is no "one size fits all" instructional strategy, or learning theory, for a class of students nor for individual students. My challenge as I am maturing as an instructor, is to be able to design my curriculum and teaching strategies/practices to reach the differentiated needs exhibited by my adult students. It sounds like you're doing the same thing as a K-12 instructor.

    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, your contention that the right tool for the right student makes sense; with the nature of IEP's, we can only strive to accomplish what is feasible and targets individual skill-set deficiencies; one skill at a time. Teaching at a career-tech school in aerospace presents unique challenges; most are in the program as a means of self-discovery; some fit and some struggle greatly due to very poor basic comprehension skills; not really much room is a safety-conscience industry for inept levels of attention to details and technical ability.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol,

    As a former educator I am aware of the significance of picking and choosing strategies to help students learn; diverse strategies for diverse learners.

    There must be a variety of strategies and instructional approach made available to students. No two students are alike and no two students learn in the same way. Learning must be differentiated to be effective. That means picking and choosing strategies to help “all” students learn.

    ReplyDelete