Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Connectivism Mindmap



My personal network has changed the way I learn. It puts more information at my fingertips at any time. I can easily contact someone in the network and ask questions or request more information. With some of the individuals in my network our main form of communication is digital. The element of time is nonexistent, when the information is needed it is easy to locate the answer, I am not required to wait until the library opens.

The tools that best facilitate learning for me are electronic libraries and the Internet. Google Scholar makes it possible to access scholarly articles without an affiliation with an educational institution library. Siemens (2004) discusses the significance of informal learning and that it is a large portion of our learning. As I have questions about a myriad of topics I can find answers with well worded searches.

I watch my 11 year old son when he is interested in a new topic; he uses a variety of resources to learn. He starts with the Internet (I hear a lot of Mom, how do you spell?) from there he is interested in seeing his topic face-to-face. That may mean a trip to the museum, a park, the woods, the local car garage, the location is determined by the subject. He is incorporating both technology and nontechnology sources to encompass his topic. When I compare what he does with the resources I had available at that age – encyclopedia or if lucky a print book on the topic in the library. What I could learn about something was very limited. His learning borders are essentially limitless.

When I learn new knowledge I use a variety of sources; print and digital books, Internet, other people, to name a few. Really the way I learn about something new is determined by what the topic is. For example, learning about a new plant will involve an Internet search, a talk with the person at the nursery, purchasing the plant, planting it and observing its growth. While technology is a great tool to use to supplement learning actually “getting your hands dirty” is as valid (for some students even more so).


Siemens, G. (2004, December, 12). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved from: http://elearningspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm.

7 comments:

  1. From your observations with your 11 year old son and others, would effective do you find the learning process today with all of the emerging technologies compared with learning when you began school? With so much information and interactive content available at the click of a button, are students able to learning better today than before or do they just learn differently?

    Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning is still learning, I think they learn differently. A student who is motivated to learn will find a way to learn, technology makes that easier for them. Since technology is so readily available they have adjusted how they learn, lots of audio visual learners out there.

      Delete
  2. I am glad you emphasized how important face to face learning is. I too love to to learn from visiting musuems, speciality events, and experts. I was able to travel when growing up in my family because my father would be asked to speak all over the world. I know that the travels provided me with insight and background knowledge for so many things I used in school and today. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is fascinating all the ways in which we can explore a topic, as your son does, ,with the capabilities we have when using technological tools. I am always trying to stay on top of all the new things that come out, and hope to continue to do so as my daughter grows up, because it is very different than when I was a kid. I also use Google Scholar to my advantage and like the fact I can find it on there and then find the version in digital library sources that I have access too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I found out is, I don't need to keep on top of things. I don't need to know the next hottest tool to help him. He finds it and shares it with me. Because I understand theory and concept I am able to understand what the new tool is doing when he shows me. Don't be afraid to let the kids explore and make judgements on their own about tools. I ask they tell me why they like or don't like a tool and then I might review the tool if I don't agree with their explanation. What a great way for them to practice decision making.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your personal experiences with your son. I truly believe that testimony and personal stories help to make the point. Do you have any reservations about his being 11 years old, figuring things out using a resource that is still not completely safe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no. He knows at any time I can review where he has been and look at the sites. I also have a rule that he cannot be online in his room, he has to be in a public space in the house. I see a lot of things as I pass by, plus he has a 12 year old sister who is quite the informant if she thinks he is going to the wrong places. The other thing is we spend quite a bit of time together in the car and we use that time to talk about things, he knows he can ask any question and I will answer. As a parent, do I worry? Yes, but I can't let that hinder his exploration and learning. Also, there is lots of prayer going on. :) Thanks for asking.

      Delete