Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Learning in a Digital World


Reading about learning theories is an interesting task. It is not always the most exciting reading but there are some great nuggets there. Many times it is easy to identify with some aspects of a learning theory but not with others. For example, when I read about Behaviorism and the “black box” of learning, there is so much mystery and permanence there I have a hard time readily accepting it as the true answer for how humans learn, especially when I look at students. As I move through Cognitivism and Constructivism I find more concepts that are applicable. But I always feel like there is something missing. There are still explanations missing. Connectivism brings technology into education and addresses how world changes affect how students learn (Siemens, 2004). Then multiple intelligences enter the picture and affect the learning process for students (Gardner, 2003).

As education moves into the digital world and embraces distance learning and using technology in the classroom, I am excited. Being able to use tools provides me the opportunity to find my own answers when needed. I no longer need to remember “everything” or even where to find it, search tools allow me to find the answers provided I ask the right questions. In a face to face classroom it is very easy to be on the fringe and excuse a lack of quality in assignments. In an online learning environment I need to be more responsible for my own learning. In the online environment if I do not turn in my best attempt then I have missed out. Now, maybe more than ever, students need to be active learners who ask questions and question the information they are given. Do we need to teach them to remember dates in history or show them how to find that information when needed? And to think about the implications of history on the future?

Gardner, H. (2003, April 21). Multiple intelligences after twenty years. Paper presented to the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL. Retrieved from http://www.pz.harvard.edu/PIs/HG_MI_after_20_years.pdf.

Siemens, G. (2004, December 12). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. Retrieved from http://elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm.


3 comments:

  1. I concur that the search for information can be more interesting and productive than the data or factoids that are discovered; consider the search engine availability, speed, links etc. along the trek; then compare the passe modes of leafing through large tombs of text while hoping for a picture to break up the monotony. Progress in technology and the creation of active learners? You bet!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our roles have shifted to be more of a guide for our students, rather than the know-all of all answers and responses. I agree that there is a shift in teaching and the way we teach, so that students are more self-sufficient in their learning, rather than us feeding them facts and expecting them to regurgitate it back to us. It is now more inquiry guided learning, where we help them navigate the tools they need to search for the right answers and assure they are using those tools in the most adequate way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the way we teach our students has changed because of technology. You mentioned no longer having to remember things because we can look the information up. It brings to mind that we no longer even remember phone numbers because we have everything stored. Technology is great but in instances like this it can be scary. Will I be able to retrieve the information I need if it's not there? Good post.

    ReplyDelete